Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Life: Needing a Vacation From Vacations

On one hand, I feel like a jerk for complaining about what I'm about to complain about. On the other hand, this has not been a good month for planning, preparation, or advancement of my life. Of course, it is summer, so some of this should be expected.

I'm talking vacations, from my home and/or my normal life. I had the Wisconsin Dells/wedding extravaganza at the beginning of the month. I had one normal-ish week. I then had Gen Con last weekend, lasting from Wednesday until Sunday. And then today I went to the Renaissance Faire. Well, that covers all the normal things I like doing in the summer. I just wish it didn't all happen on one day.

We'll start on the vacations themselves. Gen Con went well after nearly going horrifically. Our badges and all event tickets were lost in the mail. So we (me and my father, this being our annual vacation together,) drove all the way to Indianapolis before we could even know if we could get replacements. And if my dad didn't talk to someone higher up that promised we could get the tickets printed, we wouldn't have. What made that especially infuriating is that it was all their fault; there was an error in their web site that erased our addresses. So we could have had a Gen Con without events, which would have been...

Ah, but I probably should explain what Gen Con is, huh? It's a gaming convention and one of the biggest "geek conventions" in the country; probably the biggest before Comic Con went insane and Penny Arcade got involved. Primarily, it's for role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, but it includes every popular game. Board games, card games, and all kinds of miniatures are also included, as are anime, video game competitions, costume concepts, and one big ass exhibit hall. It's heaven. Well, it's heaven when you have event tickets, because otherwise you're out of luck and have no chance of getting any games you actually want to play. Also less than heavenly was the Colts, a local Indianapolis sports team, opening their new stadium on the same weekend. So it was 30,000 geeks and 70,000 Colt fans in the same 3 block area. The city's lucky it's not on fire.

Today was something simpler. An hour and a half of driving and a friend of mine and I traveled 500 years into the past, or at least an alternate one with freezers and flushable "privvies." Nonetheless, even if the people weren't, the setting at least emulated authenticity. Electricity was in short supply save for the occasional food hut and indoor light, making the woods the Ren Faire is located mostly in as entrancing as most of its guests would want. Okay, many jokes were made at the "Ye olde pizzae store" and the inexplicable ability to get tempura in medieval Europe, but it was close enough, damn it! An early start meant we could see more of the shows than I have for years, from close seats to the local comedic swordsmen to the mud show. Mine you, just because I could see a grown man eat mud doesn't mean I don't want to unsee it, but I knew the risks. And I watched a joust. But I always watch a joust.

Well, it was fun, certainly, but now I'm pooped. And now I have a lot of things to think about. I have no new job coming up, which means no new apartment or plans to move to the city. I also have no roommate as of yesterday, so I have about a week to find a new one or this will also become a problem. For now, though, I'll try to enjoy the parts of summer that were nice. And get over the parts that remain utter bull shit. But I'll have to deal with those soon enough as well.

No comments: