Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Life: Just Took a Turn For the Terrible.

I'll put this simply. On Wednesday, January 21st, I was laid off from work. Effective immediately. I get that week's paycheck, and in a couple of weeks I'm going to get my final paycheck, including all my remaining paid vacation days. So...there's that.

Now I have no idea WHAT to do. Phase one is going to the unemployment office. Phase two is figure out what the hell I'm going to do about my health care. I need something, but my work health care seems to be at least $500 a month, not even counting life and dental, so that's out.

Of course, we go to phase three. I need to actually find a job. Temp work is fine, save for the fact it means no easy health care. A real job would be better; of course. But I haven't really caught up with technological advancements. And let's face it, I haven't really cared that much about programming and computer science lately, despite it being my major. And honestly, most of it isn't even science. It's more like a foreign language class. Except the people who wrote the foreign languages have no language skills.

Maybe I should appreciate this. It could be a fresh start. Already, I assumed that if I don't get a permanent job by August, when my apartment lease runs out, I will just move to Chicago and go to school again. Hey, if you're in a recession, why not ride it out where you're expected to go into debt anyway?

I might even use the opportunity to get a job closer to my ideal. My obvious goals are more creative jobs, like video games, movies, television, or just a novel. But really, any writing job would be a good start. Mind you, this might require some more classes, but then that's the point of going back to school. But it's all up to the future. So, in other words, I could use some tips for the future. Where should I look for a job? Where should I get better health care?

No comments: