Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Life: Suddenly Getting Busier

Well, I wish I can say I was bored lately. But these last few weeks have been crazy. First of all, I began my quest to find a school this fall, should I get the opportunity to do so. I visited six schools in the last two weeks, including Flashpoint, Depaul, the Schaumburg Illinois Institute of the Arts, the International Academy of Design and Technology, Columbia College, and finally Westwood. Phew! I'm tires just saying all that. But I think I narrowed it down to a few schools.

Even so, I haven't even made my most basic decision: what degree should I get? Another Bachelor, a Masters, or just a more informal certificate from an academy like Flashpoint? Before I can even make THAT decision, I need financial information from FAFSA. I doubtlessly need loans to even start this plan. And beyond that, I'll need employment.

Speaking of which, in between panicking over one of the biggest decisions of my life, I actually have become gainfully employed again! For a month. Until the end of June, I'm working in data entry. Unfortunately, the data entry is manual writing, not the obscenely fast typing skills I developed for years. It also means it pays less, but at least it's steady, extending my unemployment while also making more than I did until recently.

And this job gives an hour lunch and two 15-minute breaks, giving me enough time to make phone calls. So I still can decide and make necessary phone calls while working. My creative writing has suffered, however.

So, for the nonexistent people reasind this thing, the question is this: do I get the masters, taking advantage of my bachelor degree in computer science, a more prestigious degree, and largely night classes that allows for more employment opportunities in exchange for a programming-heavy curriculum I'm less interested in, a second bachelor in two years in an art school that's slightly cheaper but has less options for financial aid and a relatively low success rate, but with more hands-on work and internship experience, and finally a very new, very modern academy with its own student loans but with no current accreditation, giving the strongest focus on game development but also the greatest risk? It's a very difficult question, but fortunately I can delay it until I at least get my FAFSA info.

No comments: