Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Life: A Minor Major and a Major Mistake?

I have to admit, I'm running out of obvious sources for these "life" posts. Too much of my time is invested in the art I absorb, contemplate, or write, which make up for the other four updates. What's left is some of my other interests, groups, and past, and some of that includes some of the relationship issues, which I don't like to discuss here, and some of my beliefs, which I tend to consider off limits. I can do some historical choices, however, starting with one I sort of regret. I already mentioned that I'm not satisfied with my college life. I'll specify one element, though, which I really tended to question: my major.



Now, I went into college with a number of idealistic assumptions about both college and my career plans. You see, ever since I was a child, I always wanted to be one thing: a video game designer. The hard part, now and as always, was figuring out how, but at the time, I assumed the path was pretty easy. You get it by making games. And at the time, I assumed that also meant one thing: programming.



Naive, yes, but keep in mind the state of hte industry at the time. I grew up with an Intellivision and was raised with a Nintendo and a Super Nintendo. As I was going into college and considering my choices, I remember the many choices Digipen offered. For one thing, they recently included a BRAND NEW MAJOR in, amazingly, three-dimensional game creations! This is the days before Maya, and where games took less than a year to make and a handful as many developers.



So I assumed that my first step would have to be being a computer major. I wasn't exactly wrong, mind you. This was also the era before official game writers, because, well, have you read the writing in video games at the time. For one thing, the video game industry was still largely dominated in Japan, so we were lucky to get a reasonable localization without obvious typos and grammar errors, let alone believable dialogue and descriptions. And I never had much experience in art or music design, which is a shame as those were pretty obvious paths into the industry even back in the day.



But there was more to video game designing than the programming I learned. Some of the most basic stuff was essential, yes, from learning basic programming languages to assembly language principals to the classic logic gates or electrical engineering. But programming is not my passion. As the classes got more advanced, stretching into creating an entire operating system or database administration, it became more obvious that this was going far, far away from what I planned on doing what I want in life. No, I wanted to create. I was into designing worlds, creating settings, and writing. And it's not like these elements are factoring into my real job now. I write C code in most days, or at the most some other programming or just assembly.



Now, there is one thing I didn't learn at school related to computer and really needed. That is becoming, well, the Computer Guy. That most translates into IT work, from getting people's computers up and running to troubleshooting the inevitible software errors and bugs. Oh, I can do most of the basic stuff like physically assembling a new computer and installing the basic software packages, but setting up specific requirements for, say, the office email network is nigh-impossible for me. I still have no idea where to start. The assumption that I can do these things easily and just assemble a weird, alien computer for scratch is common and very annoying to me. I don't do these things for fun. Hell, I almost never program for fun or as a hobby, I do things like, well, this.



If I could redo this, I would like to be an English major and a Computer Science minor. That woudl give me the basics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emperor Seth. Have you moved to Chicago yet?

Joseph Barder said...

Heh, unfortunately not. Step 1 is find a decently-paying job in the city, with "decently-paying" meaning I won't starve or live on the streets. Step 2 is moving into the city. Step 1 is sort of taking a bit longer. Plus I have a roomate again now, so I have until August or so to figure things out.