Monday, March 24, 2008

My Life: Proof My Weird Taste Doesn't Just Lie In Games.

It's about time for another post that's weird, possibly too personal, and kinda dark. Off we go, then!

This one was inspired by, well, my life in general, but also dinner. I went out to a local, cheap noodle place. There was a cute girl who was in front of me in line. She was also alone. She ordered her food, and then I did the same. We ate well apart, she finished first, and then she left. I'll probably never see her again.

But still....

This is a problem for me in general. I mean, in this specific case, I don't think I could've done much. It was a crowded, public restaurant, and she probably wanted to eat in peace. I just wish, if not this case, I'd find some situations where I could meet woman. Because I really suck at this part.

But this isn't about missed opportunities, no matter how numerous. This is more about what I'm looking for in the first place, irregardless of how unlikely it is that I'll ever find it.

Though if I was good at describing it, maybe it wouldn't be a problem in the first place, now would it? Well, there are the basics. I'm looking for someone intelligent, attractive, nice, funny, all the generic stuff people say at this point. It's the "Long walk on the beach" step, save for the part that people actually want them.

Most of them require clarification, anyway. Intelligence is a pretty easy one to discuss. I want someone intelligent enough to carry on a conversation, who knows enough to get around in the world in general, and who understands at least the basics of philosophy, politics, science, etc. More importantly, I want someone who has at least some creative or intellectual passion. It doesn't have to be mine, though we'll get more to that. But it has to be something beyond just getting through life.

Next up is funny. That's pretty subjective, and a lot of it comes down to similar interests. I don't expect her to share all the movies, television shows, books, etc., that I like, but a few that I like would be nice. My humor tastes range from surreal to more sarcastic, with lighter things like cartoons thrown in. A Buffy or 30 Rock fan, for example, would score big points. And beyond fun, having similar concepts of "fun" are nice. Finding a girl who likes Dungeons and Dragons is a pipe dream, I know, but someone who wants to play video games sometimes, or head into the city to explore, or go biking, would be great.

As for nice, that's a bit trickier. Some of that is similar politics and religion, if you think about it. I still don't want to talk much about either here, but as a relatively young, technology-embracing futurist, you can guess I aim towards more open-minded and tolerant beliefs, and I would have trouble dating someone who believed otherwise. She wouldn't have to have the exact same religious beliefs, but at the very least she doesn't have to think, say, that I'm going to burn in Hell. But there's more to "nice" than that. I have to face it: being single for so long makes it harder for me to trust the concept of relations. I'd need a girlfriend that was caring and affectionate, who showed me that she felt strongly about me as I did for her, that she cared basically. I want someone to rest on or near me while sitting on a couch and who rested on me in bed. I want someone who is nervous about romance; who giggles and is awkward at times, because I know I sure as hell will be.

As for attractive, that's the most subjective of all, and it's easy to sound picky about it. I like to think I'm not, though. I mean, there are some restrictions; I don't find myself attracted to people who are extremely overweight, to use one shallow example. But what I am attracted to is more nebulous. I generally like people who have an unusual sense of style, so I like people who identify with a sub-culture. For example, I've often been attracted to goths, but I also like women who have a more "indy" style, or even classical geeks. It probably has something to do with the fact I'm already interested in designs and archetypes; if you think that way enough, it becomes the way you see the world. One of the most unusual of these attractions, though, is that I find myself attracted to smokers. I don't know why, exactly: I never even tried smoking and have no interest in doing so. It's just another archetype to me, I think, or perhaps an intellectually intriguing element of someone. It could even be a subset of my interest in goths or other classical styles, like the flappers. But that's about my weirder interests, I think.

I guess it's not that strange a list of things to want. Similar interests, personal beliefs that don't repel me, etc. It doesn't help that I have absolutely no way to find someone even closely matching these requirements, especially, for some reason, the one that means they care about me. But that would have to be another update, I think. Assuming it ever is one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just a test