Monday, March 31, 2008

My Life: To the City!

This is a fairly short entry, and remember that this will be the last one until this Thursday. I'll explain more of the details about why specifically this is in my next entry. However, until then, I'll explain about my philosophy for this year and one of the decisions I want to make about it. It all started with my New Year's resolution: This Must End.

Let me clarify that I don't mean any particularly crazy definition of this phrase. I don't me my life or the universe or something. I do mean the way my life is right now, however. I came to this realization late last year when the comfortable but dull life I've formed started to change for the worse. One of the programmers at work quit, which was jarring already; I figured I would be the first to go. But that means the workload increased for the last two of us by 50% or so, not to mention the sudden influx of more complex projects. Meanwhile, my roommate told me he planned on moving out. His girlfriend turned into a fiancée, and the two of them bought a house. He actually physically moved out this February, but the contract doesn't end until July. I can look for a roommate until then, and I have tried a bit, but it won't be essential until this summer.

But that is the deadline. Come July, I either have to find a roommate or move out. My life will change, and now it's a question of how I want it changed. Meanwhile, I can't ignore my problems at work, either; they became part of the problem at this point. I know exactly what I want out of life, but I have no idea if I can even get it at my current level of education and experience. So, if Plan A is still not available, what exactly IS Plan B?

I recently came upon one solution, at least. A friend of my suggested that a lot of my problems, including my relationship woes, come from living in the suburbs. I have to admit, she has a point. I recently learned to love going into the city, nearly all the girls I do meet already live there, and it would even make school easier. Most important, it would be change, and it would be me making the change for once. The hard part, of course, is the job.

Do I stick with the current job? If so, how to travel there and back again every single day? And if not, what do I do? Can I accept a pay cut, and how much? For me to do this, I'll have to figure out how to find a job, find an apartment nearby, probably find one or more roommates, and move. All in about 3 months. I'm a bit nervous, and I'm worried about where to start.

But, even when I thought about the idea, I'm happy. Sure, there will be some things I'd have to let go of, but there are surprisingly little left. My cat will stay with, I could continue running my D&D game by stopping into the area, and what else is keeping me here? Yes, there's the writer's group, but is that enough? More importantly, it will mean getting up and going to a new job, something I haven't done in almost six years. But that number alone is terrifying. Six years, all in one building, one room, one half of an office. That's 50% longer than I spent at any school I went to. At least most people change positions within a company every few years.

So, I'm torn, and to any readers I theoretically have, I ask you this: what now? I need to figure out a way to find a job, for starters, and from there get cracking on the apartment. And that's assuming I go through with this. But if I don't, what do I do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three months is more than enough time to find a new job, new apartment, and move.

The hard part is actually doing it.

Bridgett said...

You don't sound very happy with your current job, so it doesn't sound like such a bad idea to look elsewhere. If there is more for you in Chicago, it seems like something to seriously consider, even if you end up deciding you are better off trying to improve things from where you are.